The first circle of the Order was founded in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1897, as an auxiliary to the Rev. John Russell Council of the Knights of Columbus for the purpose of uniting all Catholic women in a sisterhood to achieve the following aims:
- To know one another better
- To extend our circle of friends
- To centralize all our resources to better help one another
- To be a greater force to contend with in the pursuit of good in our society
Today, it is one of the largest Catholic women’s organizations, with a membership of over 60,000 women from the United States and Canada and has continued to prosper and establish bonds among Catholic women throughout the world. Members encourage each other’s total development and foster growth of every aspect of life – spiritual, social and charitable – adding up to a more fulfilling life!